Femme Frontera Filmmaker Showcase
Thursday, January 26 at 8 pm
The Femme Frontera Filmmaker Showcase is a collection of short films directed by six female filmmakers from El Paso, Texas, Las Cruces, New Mexico, and Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua. The films in the Showcase, created and organized by El Paso-based filmmaker Angie Reza Tures, provide personal and unique perspectives about the U.S.-Mexico border communities they represent.
Doors 7:30 pm; admission $5.
● “Child of the Desert” by El Paso native Iliana Sosa tells a story of Elia, a carefree yet troubled military mother, who forms an unlikely connection with an undocumented immigrant in the heart of West Texas. The film won multiple awards at the 2012 USA Film Festival.
Child of the Desert Trailer
● Born in Cd. Juarez and raised in El Paso, filmmaker Laura Bustillos Jáquez “Undocumented Freedom” documents Beto, a 26 year old man who was brought to the U.S. illegally as a child as his family fled human trafficking. She is currently working closely with attorneys, community leaders, and artists in New York City on an eponymous full length version of Undocumented Freedom covering multiple stories.
Undocumented Freedom Trailer
● In the film “La Catrina”, a farm worker grieving her husband’s death becomes La Catrina, the Dia De Los Muertos figure of death, and journeys towards him through the landscape of the harvest. This film was created by Iliana Lapid, a film professor at NMSU, and was selected for the 2016 Women In Film and Television International Showcase.
La Catrina Trailer
● “Overland” is a film by filmmaker and ACLU editor Jazmin Harvey, and is a story about exploitation, perseverance, and burning away the stereotypes that surround undocumented women.
● “The Appleseed Project” a documentary directed by Yennifer Lucero, captures stories of women creating music in our binational community. Her approach lets musicians and their songs speak loudest.
The Appleseed Project Trailer
● “Memory Box”, a film by Angie Reza Tures, tells a story about Julieta, age 19 and recently deceased, as she experiences the afterlife for the first time at a Day of the Dead celebration. This film was recently selected to be part of the 2016 EQUUS Film Festival in NYC.
Memory Box Trailer